Our regular blogger, Leigh, is heading to New York next week to attend the BlogHer Conference (lucky girl!). She’ll be flying from Brisbane to LA, then LA to New York. And back again (we hope!).
That’s around 20 hours stuck in a pressurised flight cabin, in conditions that are very dehydrating and aging for the skin.
She asked me for some tips on how to look after her skin during the flight, so here goes:
• The most important thing to do on a long-haul flight is keep up your water intake. Take a water bottle on the plane, so you don’t have to keep pestering the flight attendants.
• I know it’s tempting, but don’t drink the free alcohol. Even one glass of wine in that environment will be severely dehydrating to the body, and it will show on your skin.
• Take a refreshing spritzer such as this one in your carry-on luggage, to spray on your face to hydrate your skin and freshen you up.
• If your skin is feeling dry and irritated, use a soothing moisturiser that contains aloe vera.
• It’s best not to wear makeup, because your skin can’t breathe. Just use a touch of mascara and lip gloss, and let your skin benefit from regular application of the spritzer, oil and moisturiser.
• To help you recover from jet lag, take a melatonin supplement when you arrive at your destination and for a week when you return.
• Don’t forget to pack a neck cushion so you can try and get some beauty sleep — there’s nothing worse than arriving at your destination with your eyes hanging out of your head.
Do you have any beauty travel tips you’d like to share with us? Please post in the comments section below.